It’s really important that you maintain WordPress website and keep completely up to date with any security, bug or compatibility updates.
In just the same way we protect our PC’s from the ever changing world of the web we need to do the same to our websites. WordPress is the most common CMS (content management system) out there so there are stories of websites being hacked and indeed it’s something that can happen. This is rare if you are doing your best to protect your website.
So what do you need to do to maintain WordPress…
There are just a few things that you need to do with your Navitas Website:
- Start the update process by backing up your files and your database. Please read this first Read more…
- Update your plugins
- There are red circles at the back of WordPress showing you what needs to be updated. We recommend that you do them one at a time. This isn’t entirely necessary but should something go wrong at least you know who the culprit is and solving the issue becomes faster.
- Do it regularly? As often as you can is good. Monthly is great if you need to schedule it in. If you are in the site more often and you see a circle appear – do it then.
- Test all is OK and clean out any of your comment spam
- If you are running WordFence we recommend that you enable the checkbox – Delete WordFence tables and data on deactivation? under the options tab. These files can become quite big so deactivate the plugin and reactivate regularly.
- Check your Google Analytics etc are still working periodically as the data is normally held in a plugin
If the thought of this fills you with dread or you simply don’t have the time we do offer this as a service for Navitas Design websites. Get in touch on 01869 278217 or email [email protected] to find out more.